Feelings do change and it is never easy to maintain a relationship because after awhile, you will run out of places to go to etc. Furthermore, it will take both parties to put in effort to maintain it. But question is, why is it that when feelings are changing, things were not being discussed and let it go uncovered before it resurfaces at one go when the feelings have totally being drained? *hm*
That's why communication is key to a relationship and when there are things that you start not to share with your partner, it signals that something is not right about the relationship.
When I was a kid, I would also want to go to my mum rather than my dad because my dad will only scold/cane me if things went wrong. So this mentality is in-built in everyone that we only like the person who is nice to us. But as I grew older, through my secondary school years especially, I begin to realise why my dad is like that and I begin to love him more even though I still dislike his scoldings but I understood where he was coming from. Same goes for a relationship, sometimes you want the best for your partner but the partner may not feel like you are the best for them, being over-protective which led to a lot of conflicts and temper on my part killed the love in my previous relationship. Lesson learnt.